Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games qualifying events to be staged in Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Italy, Japan, Netherlands and
“These next two years — 2019 and 2020 — will be the most important in the history of international baseball and softball,” said
Baseball’s Road to Tokyo 2020
The first Olympic Baseball qualifier will be played from 18 to 22 September in Bologna and Parma. The top five finishers of the 2019 European Baseball Championship and the top baseball team in Africa will battle for one spot in this Africa/Europe qualifier.
An eight-nation Americas Qualifier has been confirmed for March 2020 in Arizona, hosted by USA Baseball. The top National Team in Arizona will earn a place at the Olympic Games.
- All Americas representatives from the WBSC Premier12 2019 that did not qualify for Tokyo 2020.
- The top two finisher(s) from the Pan American Games Lima 2019 (not counting nations participating in the Premier12)
The final Olympic Baseball Qualifier will be hosted by the Chinese Taipei Baseball Association in Taipei City. This intercontinental competition will be a six-team world tournament for the last remaining place(s) at Tokyo 2020.
- 2nd Place finisher from the Africa/Europe Qualifier in Italy
- 2nd and 3rd Place finishers from the Americas Qualifier in Arizona
- Top two finishers from the Asian Championship 2019 (not counting nations already qualified for Tokyo 2020)
- Winner of Oceania Qualifier 2019
Softball’s Road to Olympic Gold
The first Olympic Softball qualifier this year will be held in Europe, from 23 to 28 July in Utrecht, Netherlands. This eight-team qualifying event hosted by the Dutch Baseball and Softball Federation (KNBSB) will allocate one spot to the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020. The competition will feature the top six finishers of the European Championship and the top two softball teams in Africa.
The Americas Olympic Softball Qualifier will be hosted by Softball Canada and staged from 25 August to 1 September in Vancouver, Province of Surrey. This qualifier will feature up to 16 National Teams, with the top two advancing to the six-team Olympic softball event at the Tokyo 2020 Games.
The Asia/Oceania Qualifier is scheduled for 24 to 29 September in Shanghai, under
The USA Softball Women’s National Team was the first to qualify for Tokyo 2020, winning the
Host country Japan has been granted an automatic entry into the 2020 Olympic Baseball and Softball events.